Saturday, November 5, 2011

Stunned


November 5, 2011

Wow! I could just about be rendered speechless! Today was the District 35 Fall Toastmasters' Conference in Milwaukee. It was amazing!

I had a somewhat difficult week leading up to the conference. I really struggled with my emotions, depression, and focus. I was so excited when I learned that I would be able to participate in the Speakathon at the conference. I chose to speak about how anticipation can help to relieve stress. I had to try several times to whittle it down to 7 minutes, but I did it! The end of the week was such a struggle that I practiced speaking very little. I didn't rehearse at all on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday, I only went through it a couple of times. So, by the time I was to speak today, I was a bit nervous that I might forget something even though I knew I was prepared.

One thing that I love about Toastmasters is that no matter who you are, you are treated fairly and encouraged. It's okay to fail and it is okay to step up to the plate even if you are not as polished as someone else. I got to understand that on a different level at the Speakathon today. Of the seven speakers in the room I spoke in, only two of us chose not to use notes. The abilities of each speaker varied greatly, yet each one was genuinely affirmed.

I fell in love with the concepts of my piece as I wrote it. The intro was complete audience participation. We clapped, did a countdown, and yelled "hey" back and forth. It sounds rather goofy written on paper. But, I watched the 50+ people in the room cautiously join me and quickly fall into my trap of having a good time. When they yelled the final "hey" at me the last time, I looked at them blankly and simply said, "What?" It was a joy to listen to the room fill with laughter. I had them hooked from the start!

It was fun to look around the room as I presented, observing the audience as they listened intently. In the middle of the speech, I feigned forgetfulness. I played it out long enough that some of them were getting antsy in their seat wondering how they could help me recover. As soon as I spoke the next question, (What if you were practicing your speech and forgot what you were going to say?) they roared!

I finished strong, listened to a couple more speeches, then I was evaluated. The only thing that my evaluator mentioned that she would have wanted me to do differently was to walk up and down the aisle to draw the audience in even more. The room I spoke in was in a hotel. It was three rooms in one with the partitions pushed back.

A newcomer's reception was held after the Speakathon. I didn't make it. The response from my speech was so great that I kept getting stopped. Some of the presenters from the day stopped me to talk. They were shocked that this was only my second speech for the group. They commented on my professionalism and were eager to help me find ways to meet my goal of becoming a professional paid speaker.

I have become completely overwhelmed with the networking that happened in the two hours that followed the Speakathon. I have never seen such enthusiasm and people who earnestly want to help me succeed. I was immediately connected with several people already working in this capacity and invited and encouraged to speak at several clubs.

Interestingly enough, I won two tickets to the Milwaukee Art Museum at the newcomer's reception that I didn't manage to attend. A couple of enthusiastic supporters told me that I should plan to use them on December 28. In fact, I think they are going to plan my day! We will e-mail for details, but I was told to plan for a luncheon on that day. They said they will invite several other Toastmasters to join us so that I can continue to connect. Then they suggested that I go to the museum, followed by participating in the next Speakathon that night!

They have told me about the next district conference in May. Not only that, I was told how to connect and network to work my way to the top there so that I could become a featured speaker at next fall's district conference!

I am simply stunned at the support I have received. Once I was given the opportunity to connect with people, the floodgates opened. I had no idea the potential that is right in front of me.

To any of my new Toastmaster connections who may read this, I sincerely thank you for helping to make this day so incredible! I genuinely look forward to the journey we will take together.

To all of my other readers, I simply have to say, you are a real blessing to me. Without your prayers and encouragement, I may not be where I am today. Thank you for your constant support!

No comments:

Post a Comment