Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Time to Soar


Last week I wrote about planning. I'm still considering what my big picture looks like. In fact, it is on my list of things to write out for the week this week. The key here being that I really need to write it down. When I do write it, I want it to be in a place that I will see it - someplace where it won't get buried by other paper work or simply overlooked. I want to and need to be reminded of it often so that I keep my focus on what may lie ahead.

This quote will be included with my list: "Set your sights high, the higher the better. Expect the most wonderful things to happen, not in the future but right now. Realize that nothing is to good. Allow absolutely nothing to hamper you or hold you up in any way." ~ Eileen Caddy

I think the first step for me is going to be time management. I have no inbred sense of time. Combining that with my current condition is interesting!  Sometimes a minute can feel like forever. Other times it feels like the day just flies by! Listed below is part of my action plan. Hopefully these goals can be helpful to you, but writing them here also gives me a sense of accountability.

Step 1 - Identify goals.
I think I have a semi-clear picture forming in my head now, but meeting them effectively and efficiently will depend on my ability to complete the steps that follow.

Step 2 - Make a daily to do list.
I have always been a person to have a mental check list. Up until this year, it worked well for me. Now, it would probably be better if I wrote things down. I had several wonderful co-workers at my last job, but the person that I job shared with was the biggest list writer I have ever seen. I followed her system and found that even though I probably didn't always need the list, it was actually fun to cross things off the list! The best part of the list was seeing all that was accomplished and knowing that if everything was crossed off, it was a day well spent. Her system included a list on the computer that we could tweak if need be, but inevitably there are always additions with each day. Adding the "extra" job(s) just added another sense of accomplishment.

Step 3 - Make a schedule.
I love my Google calendar! Some days I check it several times. Anyone with a smart phone should take full advantage of the Google calendar feature. It will put all of the pieces of a day together for you. I was able to combine my schedule with my family's schedule and see it all in one place wherever I was. If I don't break down my list of long and short term goals and add them to my calendar, my chances of meeting those goals are not nearly as high.

Another benefit to the Google calendar is that I can visually see how much of my day is filled. It is important to me to leave some open time on my calendar. That open time will create space for me to refresh my mind, allow for interruptions such as phone calls or visitors, and leave space for unexpected occurrences that need to be taken care of right away. Seeing the calendar also helps me to understand whether or not my expectations or hopes are realistic. I have come to value the space cushions and the freedom from stress that they provide.

Step 4 - Set a timer or reminder.
Google has this option ready for action and it is one of the things that I miss most about my smart phone. When you schedule events on your calendar, you have a choice of when you would like to be reminded. It could be anywhere from no reminder to weeks before. Notifications can be received via e-mail or a pop up on your computer.

The lesson I have learned here is that in order for me or my family to be on time, we need to allow twice as much time as necessary to travel. For example, if I want to travel to church, it takes me 25 minutes to get there. I round that up to half an hour and tell my family that I want to leave an hour before the scheduled start time of the event. Yes, we know the cushion is there, but we have also learned how nice it is to travel without stress. We are learning to follow the same guideline whenever we have to be someplace.

In my mind, I can see how writing lists and scheduling events can appear limiting on the outside. I love to fly by the seat of my pants and let life happen. Experience is teaching me that although rules, lists, and scheduling can seem to confine, they also allow a much greater sense of freedom. I look forward to experiencing a greater amount of that freedom than I already do as I aim to set my sights high and begin to meet some new goals.

1 comment:

  1. I have made lists for a long time. It frees up your mind when you don't have to keep track of things to do (just have to remember to check the list, lol). I also 'round up' the time needed for travel and add some, that way if I get behind a slow-poke, it doesn't matter. I also don't do the major roads unless absolutely necessary; I take the secondary roads, less traffic and I don't feel pushed. Many times I have avoided accidents and the resultant traffic backups because I took the road less traveled.

    ReplyDelete