Thursday, November 3, 2011

Techno Frenzy


I am amazed when my friends think that I am a techy. In fact, it rather makes me chuckle a little bit for the simple fact that I realize that I am not really that much of a techno geek. There are many fun gadgets out there that I wish I could get my hands on and learn, but they have yet to enter the realm of technology that I currently own. As much as I enjoy technology, I find it intriguing that some of my friends are either not online at all yet or just barely utilizing the power that is available to them.

I just finished reading an article and watching Bill Weir (from ABC news) talk about OmniTouch - a computer display projection system. This projection system features a wearable projector that would allow you to view your documents or other computer work on any surface. Chris Harrison, the brains behind the project, has been working on the OmniTouch with Microsoft. He said that his prototype is larger than the one that may be offered to the public in the years to come. In fact, he said that within five to six years, he expects that the projector may be as small as a lapel pin or pendant on a necklace.

Harrison is also working with Microsoft on a project called "Skinput", a bio sensor that would allow you to convert the tapping of your fingers or forearm into commands - essentially eliminating the need for a mouse and keyboard.

As much as I enjoy embracing the new toys that simplify life, I really admire my friends who resist the changes. There is something refreshing about those people. They seem to be blanketed in innocence. They are wise people who cherish family values and work hard. Their simplicity is fascinating and refreshing.

For years, I remember having basic television. In 1983, cable was not yet available where I lived, but it seems to me that my father dug a trench so that we could connect with the existing services down the road. What a life changing experience that was! As time went on, parents were warned more and more often about allowing their children to watch too much TV.

Now, we are surrounded by technology. Cable TV, dish networks, cell phones, computers, iPads, iPods, electronic gaming systems. The list is long! The hard working, imaginative people who value face to face time with family and friends are disappearing. People are accepting electronic socialization as a norm and are completely okay with it! The objects intended to simplify our lives now complicate our lives. We are frustrated when things don't work properly. Technology has created people that expect things to happen almost before they even requested the service!

Have these objects become gods that you don't think you could live without? Do they disrupt your family life? Do they rob you of the rest you should be getting? Can you imagine your home  life without technology? or would you feel like you were being stripped of your privileges and be lost without it? How would you use the time you gain if you gave up your computer? (Think: no Facebook, no obligations to e-mail, no gaming, etc.)

A popular Facebook status posting this month is to name something you are thankful for each day. I am thankful for technology and the many ways that it does simplify my life. However, I am even more thankful for family and friends - especially when I get to spend time with them face to face, laughing and enjoying each other without electronic gadgets interrupting us.
____________________________________
Here is the link to Bill Weir's article I referenced:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/death-keyboards-monitors-omnitouch-202115388.html

No comments:

Post a Comment