Tuesday, October 18, 2011

3...2...1...Impact!

Did you know that it wasn't long ago that in Canada women were not recognized as people? I was horrified to learn that it was only 82 years ago that Canadians officially proclaimed that women are people and would be allowed to hold a public office! Shocking first of all because I wonder how else a woman would have ever been classified. But I am also amazed because even though that would be (Lord willing) a couple lifetimes for me, I realize that my grandmother would have been old enough to hear and understand this incredible news!

Emily Murphy was an author, jurist and Canadian women's rights activist. As a judge, lawyers consistently challenged her rulings because she was not a  "person". She began her fight in 1916. Nationwide support was garnered by 1927. The "Famous Five" (Emily Murphy, Nellie McClung, Irene Parlby, Louise McKinney and Henrietta Muir Edwards) petitioned the courts, enduring five long weeks of debate only to have their appeal unanimously denied! Finally on  October 18, 1929, Emily and her friends won their case after appealing to Canada's highest courts. (Info from http://archives.cbc.ca/politics/rights_freedoms/clips/1801)

Emily isn't the first, nor will she be the last to stand up for what she believed in. I am thankful for the people who have gone before me and worked so hard so that I can have the freedoms I enjoy. I am encouraged by my friends who seem to have their eyes set on goals or belief systems that they want to help promote.

One of those people is helping with a project to try to help stop human trafficking. Human trafficking is a horrible form of abuse endured by many around the globe. It is alive and well in at least 151 countries, including the United States! In fact, the sale of women is the third largest trade in the world! This is certainly a cause that could use some help. If you are interested in knowing more, there is a showing of Nefarious: Merchant of Souls, a full length docu-drama, at the Appleton Marcus Theater East (the former Regal Cinema) on Thursday night. If you would like more info, please let me know. Advanced purchase is requested.

Another of my friends has a simpler philosophy that I truly enjoy. Her goal is to make at least one person happy each day. As a home-maker, I imagine that there may be some challenge associated with that. She is, however, a very active, hard-working woman and seems to accomplish this goal easily. As a recipient of her loving kindness, this goal is as of as much noteworthy recognition as the people we read about. I hope that I am able to emulate her in even some of the things that she manages to accomplish.

How is it that you impact the world? All of us leave an imprint of some sort, whether it is amongst our family and spread through the work that they do or if it is through supporting our churches and/or other non-profit organizations. Do you have a cause that you would like to share with others?

The "Famous Five" as their commemorative plaque was revealed (with William Lyon Mackenzie King)







No comments:

Post a Comment