Saturday, October 15, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

All week long I have been fighting. It began, as any fight does, with plenty of enthusiasm and determination. Round one went well; the same for round two. Round three became a little more challenging. And as I have met up with rounds four, five, and six, I have been progressively challenged.

I have never been one to appreciate or enjoy fighting. I don't like to watch it and I don't like to be involved in it. I am the Golden Retriever, eager to please. So why would I choose to fight this week? I have chosen to fight because I am tired of being in the position I have been in for most of this year. I am tired of being still. I want to move forward with my life. (Yes, I said move forward with MY life.) I have things to do, goals to accomplish, a family to take care of…

As I look at that statement tonight, I am reminded that this is not "my" life. This is the life that God gave me to use for His will. As I continue to learn to walk in His ways and appreciate the life He has given me, I continue to see more and more blessings.

When my daughter was young, I asked her to hold my hand when we were in potentially dangerous places like a parking lot. Her strong will did not understand why I would ask her to do that. She almost always pulled away from me, causing me to hold her hand more firmly. Then she would fuss, saying, "You're hurting me! That's too tight." My reply? "Then stop pulling and it will not hurt."

I think this is true with my relationship with God to an extent too. I have mentioned how I truly believe God has asked me to take time to be still and know Him. I think I have tried. I have not always succeeded, but when I fail, I try again. It has been nine months now since I felt like God told me to be still. My determination and fight this week was to get back up again. I am tired of being still. It frustrates me that I cannot seem to effectively communicate that to other people in a way that is understood. The response I get most often is one of confusion. They wonder why I choose not to go back to work and why we need to struggle financially. People are curious why I am not willing to jump in and participate in activities like I used to.

I am learning though. In the stillness, I have learned to appreciate more. I appreciate rest and mental well being. I understand a lot of things that others are not able to understand like depression, anxiety, and the perils of a wandering mind. I know that money isn't everything. Family is important and it is valuable for my girls to see that life isn't always easy. We have to work for what we have. It has been good for them to learn to help more. But most importantly, they are learning right along with us that God always takes care of us. He doesn't always give us more than we need, but He will always give us just what we need when we need it. I have also learned that what we think we need isn't always what we need either!

I challenge you to think about your life - whether it be where you are at right now or where you've been. Can you see how God has been at work? Have there been times that God humbled you? Are you willing to share your experiences? I find it encouraging to hear stories from others. I hope you comment with some of your life experiences that show God at work.

These are just a few examples of places I found an attitude of gratitude this week.
 
Music plays an important role in our family. Not only does it represent dedication and hard work, it represents emotion, family ties, and friendships. The picture of my daughter represents a lot of things to me. It reminds me of a special day we had together. It is a reminder that even though I am not always the person God desires me to be, forgiveness is granted and my sin can be washed away. Grace and mercy are given so that I can try again.

Streams in the Desert often helps me through a rough patch. It reminds me of God's immense love and to put Him first. It reminds me that the pastor and people of our church really care. The certificate, an invaluable representation of time with friends who are there for me no matter how difficult life seems. I spend a lot of time at that coffee shop lately with friends.The seemingly out of place salad also represents a time with friends and family - a time where laughter, happiness, and love are shared. The Bible verse on an envelope represents people God placed in our lives. We are incredibly grateful for them and that they love the Lord so much that they are willing to put their faith into action in many different ways.

The Jack O Lantern represents a season. Even in the darkness of life, there are bright spots. Sometimes they are obvious, other times you have to look a little more diligently for them. It represents a time for celebration as we we move from one season of life to another.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this one! "I have also learned that what we think we need isn't always what we need either!". Truly aligning my will with God's is always such a humbling place to be but it is no necessary and where I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aligning my will with God's seems to be life's most difficult challenge for me. I think I am a pretty good citizen, but the more time I spend in God's Word, the more I learn that I consistently fall short. It truly is humbling. The blessing we receive as we seek to do His will is amazing too. I find that the more I am able to walk in His path, the happier and less stressed I am. :) Thankfully, God loves us and is willing to accept us just as we are!

    ReplyDelete