Tuesday, October 11, 2011

I Did It!


The night is basically over, but I can cross one more item off my list. Because of you, dear readers, I did attend the Toastmasters International meeting. I give you credit because I was right earlier when I said that I may need accountability. It would have been extremely easy to write this first meeting off. I did call to let them know that if all worked out with my schedule, I would attend. But that could have been swept under the carpet. I had the excuse of  a meeting which caused me to run later than I was comfortable. I had the excuse of feeling depressed. Other than posting my best intentions on my blog, I had no real commitment.

I am glad that I went. The meeting went well. It was interesting listening to the speeches. One woman spoke about a mission trip to help stop human trafficking and prostitution. The other gave a 5 minute speech introducing herself. Then we took part in something they call "Table Talk". A man came to the front of the room with a bag. He asked to have an item removed. Being close, I volunteered. I didn't look. I pulled out a can cozy. In doing so, it was then my turn to talk about the can cozy for up to two minutes I think they said. I had to explain to the group why this item was my favorite. Yes! I got to give a speech! It was short and I didn't get to experience any of that fun adrenalin rush, but I guess I did well because at the end of the night I was awarded the "Top Table Talk" ribbon! In fact, out of the three that spoke, I was the only one to qualify because I was the only one who talked long enough. The other person who was close was four seconds short. The next meeting is two weeks away. The president asked who would like to present at the next meeting so an agenda can be prepared. Since only one person was ready, I volunteered to give my introductory speech. I'm thinking a dramatic intro would be a great way for me to introduce myself. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment