Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Freedom


I began writing this blog several times tonight. Each time a little differently, but each writing also had a similar "Debbie Downer"  feel to it. Each time I wrote, it just didn't feel right. It felt like I needed to avoid being so negative. On a day like today, I was left wondering where to turn.

I chose my absolute second favorite book of all time -  "Streams in the Desert" by L.B. Cowman. (Second only to the Bible!) It is a devotional book intended to revive and refresh God's weary desert travelers. Each writing in the book has a sweet little nugget of encouragement. Without fail, this book always inspires me in one way or another. I 'd like to share with you the end of today's reading:

A little bird I am,
Shut from the fields of air,
And in my cage I sit and sing
To Him who placed me there;
Well pleased a prisoner to be,
Because, My God, it pleases Thee.

My cage confines me round,
Freely I cannot fly,
But though my wings are closely bound,
My soul is at liberty;
For prison walls cannot control
The flight or freedom of the soul.

I have learned to love the darkness of sorrow, for it is there I see the brightness of God's face.
~Madame Guyon~

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it took me so long to find this book, too. I love it! My husband has my copy and now I am going to buy another because I miss it!

    ReplyDelete