Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jumpin' In!


Beginning a new adventure seems to have a way of dragging some baggage along with it. Thoughts race through our minds. Excitement builds but so does that little piece of nervous tension. All of your senses seem to perk up a bit at the mere thought of a new experience. Our hearts may pound, depending upon the level of anticipation or stimulation. We are often held back from "jumping in" with both feet. But aren't all of those feelings part of what makes life great?

Today, I am filled with excitement. I have the opportunity to join a Toastmasters group.  I have been waiting for a long time for this opportunity. Now that it is here, I find my mind racing. I wonder if I will know anyone. I'm assuming that they will (for the most part) be outgoing people that welcome me into the group. But don't we all have that underlying fear of, "What if…"? I'm curious to know if they are going to ask me to speak in front of the group on the first night. (For the record, I would be thrilled!)Jumping right in would be an immediate adrenalin rush - as long it is something other than answering the basic request of who I am. I've done enough research on the group to know that one of the first requirements is to give a five to seven minute speech on who you are. Piece of cake, right? I'd say yes! But the adrenalin rush would come from not expecting the opportunity, not knowing the people at all, and certainly standing up there wondering what is going through their heads! (No visualizing people in underwear for this girl!)

Toastmasters International has been around since 1924. They are known as a world leader in communication and leadership development. With each track, there are specific guidelines and goals you must meet to obtain various awards of recognition. Toastmasters embrace four core values - integrity, dedication to excellence, service to the member and respect for the individual. The individuals I have spoken with have definitely embraced these values and seem to be very encouraging.

Why share the excitement when I haven't even been to a meeting? Like anything we do in life, we need to be driven. I think that I am driven to achieve my goals with Toastmasters, but just in case I'm not driven enough on my own, I know that I can trust you to keep me accountable. I foresee friends asking me about the meetings and how I am doing with meeting my goals. I'm also sharing because I believe that this can be another of my life's defining adventures. I want to share it with you and I hope that you will see continued personal growth as I do.

I leave you with the first verse and refrain of a song that has been speaking to my heart this week. It is called "The Greatness of Our God", by Hillsong.

Verse 1:
Give me eyes to see
More of who You are
May what I behold,
still my anxious heart.
Take what I have known
And break it all apart
For You my God, are greater still.

CHORUS
No sky contains,
No doubt restrains,
All You are,
The greatness of our God.
I spend my life to know,
And I'm far from close
To all You are,
The greatness of our God.

I pray that God will use all of our life's adventures - mine and yours - to show us more of who He is. I pray we discover His grace new each day, humble ourselves and begin to realize deeper still the greatness of our God. As you make these discoveries in your own life, please feel free to share them with all of us. It's always encouraging to hear one another's stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment