Monday, October 29, 2012

Fears Rejected

Fear. We all face it. But why? What is it that we fear most? I was asked to write about my top 5 fears. I came up with only 4. They are here in no particular order:

Fear of failure. 

Fear of rejection. 
Fear of losing a loved one. 
Fear of dying an awful death of pain and suffering. Could I come through that gracefully? and honorably?

What I notice is that each of my fears is incredibly self-centered. Then again, aren't all fears self-centered? I am thankful that these fears really don't have any control over my life. I am encouraged when I remember the messages the Bible has to offer. There are two passages that really stand out to me when I start to question. 


Hebrews 12:1-3 tells us, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."


Fear is one of those things that can easily hinder us. When I feel it creep in, I turn to the sources that help me most to fix my eyes upon Jesus. Generally, that means playing piano and singing praise and worship music along with prayer. 


I am further encouraged to know what 2 Timothy 1:7 tells us, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline." I don't need to be afraid. I can be bold, knowing that I am wrapped in my Savior's arms of love and that He has given me the power and self-discipline to carry on and seek Him out time and time again.


I praise God for the faith that has been instilled in me. I hope and pray that my reading audience can be as assured as I am. If you aren't and are seeking the peace that I have, please don't hesitate to ask me or someone else that you know is grounded in their faith. It's a wonderful place to be. It isn't always easy, but when you experience the peace that passes all understanding, it is a treasurable place to be too.



Many blessings to you, my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment