Wednesday, October 24, 2012

When Life Gets You Down

What do YOU do when life gets you down? I'm an upbeat person and pretty easy going. I don't let too much get me down. My friends are often tell me they are amazed at how well I deal with things. Somehow, that always catches me off-guard and surprises me that people view me that way.

Life doesn't always deal us a "fair" hand - or at least not one that we really "want" at the time. I will be the first to admit that I definitely did NOT want all of what has been dealt to me over the past three years! Both of my daughters were involved in a near fatal car crash. One of them sustained major head trauma. The stress put on a family after the period of hospitalization is phenomenal. As if that isn't enough, added to our mix is the fact that our girls have become young women. Let's face it - transitioning from teen to young, responsible adult hasn't been the most graceful period of anyone's life!

The last time someone asked me how I manage to stay so upbeat, I decided to take more time to observe my own behavior. I noticed that when I get hurt, I begin to withdraw. I've noticed that over time the hurt feels deeper and comes more quickly when talking about my daughters. I try to choose my words carefully and sometimes use even fewer words than I would in normal circumstances. There really isn't anything extraordinary about my behavior. I think it is much like the way anyone else might react given the same situation - withdrawal, possible depression, etc. However, there have been some lessons learned.

Lesson #1 - I need to take time to spend with God. We may not all have the same relationship. Some of us may want to read the Bible; others may want to pray. And some, may want to run the other way! For me, it is most effective to begin with a time of playing praise and worship music on the piano. I might start with something more somber and work my way into singing and playing something more upbeat. It is then that I find myself longing to spend time with God - talking to Him and wanting to read more Scripture.

Lesson #2 - I must spend time with other people. These are people who will lift me up and encourage me - not people who are going to interject their opinions, but those who are willing to simply listen, pray, and encourage.

Lesson #3 - I must be willing to give. I can't spend too much time wallowing in self-pity or focusing on "the problem". It is wise for me to accept the cards that were dealt, figure out what to do with them, and make the best of the situation. Once I can do that (and sometimes even before I do that), I turn my attention toward someone else. How are THEY doing? Is there someone who needs help? How can I help?

Life's defining adventures aren't always about pursuing dreams and finding success. Sometimes it is learning through life's trials that defines adventure and helps us to find the success we dream of.


No comments:

Post a Comment